Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Atlanta is under water...wait, what?!

Prolonged and steady rains in and around the Atlanta area on Monday caused record flooding and at least 6 deaths. The rain started last week and while I found it annoying, I had no idea of the devastation it would eventually bring. Meteorologists have reported that the flooding is the result of a storm that formed over tropical waters. The floods are actually the result of rains drenching the city for about eight days because weather conditions have caused storms to stick in place. Wow! I have never in my life seen it rain as hard as it did on Monday. We got 18 inches of rain in 30 hours! I was in a meeting and we were on a conference call in a room with tall windows. The rain was so hard, we could barely hear the people on the call and I couldn't stop staring out the windows at the rain coming down sideways. It was raining so hard you could not see through it. I figured traffic would be bad on my commute home, but I had no idea the events unfolding around the metro area. Creeks were flooding into rivers that were already above their banks, roads flooded, bridges collapsed, schools had to be evacuated as water rushed in and many are closed indefinitely for cleanup and repair, and people got stuck in their vehicles and homes when rushing water came on suddenly. Lots of peoples lives were affected and some people lost their homes and loved ones. Keep Atlanta in your thoughts and nobody do the rain dance anytime soon OK?

Pictures from the Atlanta Journal and Constitution,without permission...








No comments: