Thursday, July 23, 2009

Happy 1st Birthday Aidan!

I can't believe my baby turned one! This year has gone by so fast and our baby boy is growing up. We had a fantastic birthday spent with cousins Jack, Connor and Will, Aunt Monica, and Nana and Papa. I baked a barn cake with help from the boys and we probably overwhelmed Aidan when we all stood over him and sang Happy Birthday!

When Aidan woke up he got a special visit from his cousins, Aunt Monica and Nana. Here is the adorable card his cousins made him

Isn't that sweet? After a special pancake & sausage breakfast that Kevin cooked for everyone, the boys and I baked the cake.

Will was very excited about the icing!For the last few months I have been visualizing my baby's first birthday cake. However silly it may have been, I was very, very excited about baking this cake. I knew Aidan wouldn't even understand what was going on, but I wanted to make his cake and have pictures so when he grows up I can show him. I chose a barn cake because one of his favorite toys is a barn I bought him that has lots of barnyard animals. He likes to put the animals in the barn and Kevin and I use them to teach him animal sounds. I also liked the idea of a barn cake as sort of an ode to Vermont, where the red barn image is iconic. I am proud of the cake, I think it turned out beautifully and it was delicious!

A close up of the cupcake "animals"

When it was time for cake we tried to put the Birthday Boy hat on Aidan but he was terrified of it.
unfortunately it made him cry
We cheered him up right away by making fools of ourselves. He always appreciates that.
and of course the yummy cake didn't hurt either. Aidan loved his sweet treat so much he clapped!


The special birthday bib!
Daddy helping him "blow" out his candle

I love this picture of sweet Will waiting patiently for cake
Nana's famous margaritas made the party complete!


We had such a great time. Thanks so much to Monica and the boys for coming to the lake to hang out with Aidan and be there for his first birthday, it meant so much to Kevin and I!

XOXO
Angela

No comments: